Συντονιστές: Anastasios68, Νίκος, johnge

Άβαταρ μέλους
ORTHODOXIA

Answers to prayer

Δημοσίευσηαπό ORTHODOXIA » Τετ Αύγ 22, 2012 6:01 pm

Answers to prayer

Rev Andrew J Demotses

Εικόνα

In securing an answer to our prayers, we must take care that we cooperate with the Lord. Some people ask God to do for them what they could and should be doing for themselves. One time, for example, a young boy heard his father offer a fervent prayer for the poor and needy at their dinner table. When the prayers were over and all began to eat, the young boy asked, "Wouldn't it be simpler, dad, if we all just shared with those who have less?" Of course it would! But it is much easier to pray for someone than it is to sacrifice and to help him ourselves. We are not content to offer up to God what we cannot do ourselves, but often ask that he assume our responsibilities as well.

Most parents, for instance, pray that their children will mature into responsible and mature adulthood. Very few, however, take care to provide homes that reflect that maturity and responsibility. Somehow, they feel that that it will just happen without their effort and constant vigilance. People who are lonely often behave in the same way; it never occurs to them to stop wanting friends and instead become a friend to others. To the complaint "no one ever calls me," I always answer, "then why don't you call instead?"

We must try to answer our own prayers, and then leave what we cannot do to God. To do otherwise is to use prayer as a subtle method of avoiding our own responsibilities. We cannot pretend to care about something through prayer without first having tried ourselves to do what needs to be done. St. Paul made this point when he wrote, "Do not deceive your selves; no one makes a fool of God. A person will reap exactly what he plants." (Gal. 6:7).

Source: "Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America"

Άβαταρ μέλους
Νίκος
Διαχειριστής

Re: Answers to prayer

Δημοσίευσηαπό Νίκος » Τετ Αύγ 22, 2012 6:02 pm

Although I don't have the theological abilities of the writer of the sermon above, allow me to add some thoughts about why God doesn't always answer our prayer.

One additional reason to the one mentioned in the above sermon is that we don't believe, beyond any doubt, that God will grant us what we ask. Because if we doubt:

"6 But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind. 7,8 For that person must not suppose that a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways, will receive anything from the Lord." (James 1:6-8 )

Another reason is, that many times we ask for something that is not for the benefit of our soul. God always knows what is best for us and out of Love He doesn't grant requests against it. Sometimes though, if we keep asking against our best interest, God allows to receive what we ask, although it may hurt us, to teach us that it is better, if we ask for something, to let Him in all His Love and Mercy decide what is best for us.

Ο Θεός, ιλάσθητί μοι τώ αμαρτωλώ και ελέησόν με.

Άβαταρ μέλους
Φοιτητής

Δημοσίευσηαπό Φοιτητής » Τετ Αύγ 22, 2012 6:04 pm

I would like to ask a question about prayers.
Should we persist - keep knocking on the door - or should we be more open to what God allows for us, ask something once and then finish with
Thy will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven.

Άβαταρ μέλους
Νίκος
Διαχειριστής

Δημοσίευσηαπό Νίκος » Τετ Αύγ 22, 2012 6:05 pm

Our Lord Jesus said this parable, to tell us to insist in what we ask:

"5 Then he said to them, “Suppose one of you has a friend, and he goes to him at midnight and says, ‘Friend, lend me three loaves of bread, 6 because a friend of mine on a journey has come to me, and I have nothing to set before him.’ 7 “Then the one inside answers, ‘Don’t bother me. The door is already locked, and my children are with me in bed. I can’t get up and give you anything.’ 8 I tell you, though he will not get up and give him the bread because he is his friend, yet because of the man’s boldness he will get up and give him as much as he needs. 9 “So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. 10 For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened." (Luke 11: 3-9)

But He also said:

"31 Therefore do not be anxious, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. 33 But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you." (Matt 6: 31-33)

So He said that we should be persistent in our prayer and insist in what we ask, if it is for the benefit of our souls, but, because most of the time we are not sure what is it, we should always add "Thy will be done".

Ο Θεός, ιλάσθητί μοι τώ αμαρτωλώ και ελέησόν με.

Επιστροφή στο

Μέλη σε σύνδεση

Μέλη σε αυτή την Δ. Συζήτηση: 6 και 0 επισκέπτες